I was fired.

I was asked to leave, and being fired meant I could run after what was in my heart.

How do you really feel about your cause? If you don’t assess your commitment, you won’t be ready for a change in circumstances that forces you to make a choice.

I was once invited to serve in a church overseas, was then notified a person in this particular church requested that the online ministry I was involved in be investigated by a third party, and – though our online ministry was deemed appropriate by the powers that be – I was asked to choose between the local church and participating in the online outreach. In my mind, it was an “and” situation; in their minds it was a case of “or”.

I’ll never forget the phone conversation with the lovely foreign accent on the other end of the line asking, “Dana, you’re not going to give up this Internet church thing, are you?”

So I was asked to leave. They didn’t want to encourage something they felt wasn’t biblical.

Since that phone call in October 2008, I’ve been lied about, mis-quoted, and misunderstood regarding my passion for getting the Gospel out globally via the Internet. Wrong assumptions have been made. Fortunes have been spent. Years have been devoted. And it’s all been worth it.

For which cause will you take arrows to the back?

10 Responses to “I was fired.”

1. Dave Roberts March 13, 2012 at 7:50 am #

And for very similar reasons, I was turned down for jobs where I was interviewed to be Pastor… We keep going, Dana – knowing that our God has our backs and is going ahead of us as we follow Him…

2. Brian Notess March 13, 2012 at 8:03 am #

I once had to make a similar choice, being directly asked what I was “called” to do. It was a no brainer for me, and then I lost my job :-)

Wouldn’t take it back though.

• Dana Byers March 13, 2012 at 8:36 am #

I wouldn’t change things, either, Brian – but it’s very odd to be confronted with a change like that isn’t it? It took me a few months to wrestle with the confusion and pain of the experience.

3. Gordon Macy March 13, 2012 at 8:32 am #

I, and many more for sure, have been inspired because you stayed with your passion to reach people for Christ online. Quite frankly, you have been a role model for what we believe God has impressed upon our hearts to do in digital missions. God bless you Dana!

4. Jayma March 13, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Ah, I remember that conversation well. So proud of you!!!

I liked this line: ‘My answer was clear, firm, and said with all the passion I felt for reaching people online with the love of Christ. “No.” ‘

• Dana Byers March 13, 2012 at 8:57 am #

I’m so glad you were there to help me process that whole experience, Jayma. There was some CRAZY up in our little London house that day, eh?

5. Brenda Branson March 14, 2012 at 7:04 am #

I weep for your situation, for the short-sighted, rigidity of your employer (and many others) who miss the incredible opportunity we have to literally “go into all the world” via technology. To limit the gospel to brick and mortar palaces is “hiding your light under a bushel.” I also weep because of similar experiences I had with a church withholding financial support because they didn’t understand my internet ministry ( http://facebook.com/brokenpeople ) and a parachurch ministry which reprimanded me for expanding our message online.

Part of the problem is ignorance and lack of vision, but another component is their lack of control. I’m very thankful you were/are willing to make the sacrifice of love to reach the world. (big hug)