I accepted a job offer on June 6 which led our family to move from Indiana to Oklahoma. We arrived on July 1, unpacked on July 2, and I began work on July 5. These are the high points of what helped it work.
1) I slept 7+ hours every night.
2) We laughed at the mishaps (there were a few).
3) I unpacked the kitchen, my kids did their own rooms, and Chris unpacked our office. He and I worked together to get our closet in shape.
4) We took a proper holiday on July 4 – no unpacking or house duties.
5) I got to work. Literally. I began my new job on July 5 and set aside any further settling into our home for a few weeks until we were better adjusted to our new schedule.
At the moment we’re still in the process of sorting out which travel arrangements allow Chris to best serve his team at Formstack, we don’t yet know where our children will attend school in August, and it’s a big adjustment for our family having me work full time (which I’ve not done since 2004). It remains a very positive transition and we are grateful for this fantastic opportunity. Thank goodness our home is beginning to feel like a retreat!
The current focus is to only do work things during the weekdays, spend time with my family in the evenings, and keep a running list of home tasks to focus on when the weekends come.
How have you survived a move?